Pages

Wednesday 7 December 2011

#Subscribe to your favorite websites: Facebook


#57.
“We will soon launch the Subscribe plugin, an extension of the Subscribe button, that publishers and other developers can add to their web sites to make it easy for people to connect to reporters and public figures in one click. We have no further details to share at this time.”​​ Facebook offered this statement recently according to Mashable. 
So what’s there for me in this move?
I read a lot. My daily dose of browsing includes a visit to 23 blogs. Few of these publish articles of the same grade every day. I mean all their articles are worth my time. And I find some really good articles occasionally on others. So this is clear, I am not really interested in all the articles that these blogs publish.
Few months back, FB released the subscribe button. I went on a subscribing rampage. I subscribed everyone in the list that FB published plus most of my fav actors who had enabled the subscription feature. It was a great tool to be more closely connected to these people. This feature surprised me the next day by filling up my home page with all their public updates. And it was a lot of shit. I had to scroll down to see updates from my friends. It made a mess of my home page. Of course my profile will look clean for others who as hey won’t be able to see updates from my subscriptions on my wall but it was a mess inside. I unsubscribed many that day and now I am connected to 15 of my favourite bloggers. Pete Cashmore of Mashable always fills up my home page with his posts. But I don’t want to unsubscribe him coz his posts are really worth reading. I am subscribed to Mark Zuckerberg and very occasionally I get to see a post from him.
Does he know about this problem? How will it be if he starts publishing about 15 posts every day? Maybe he knows about this.
Some of the blogs that I love publish very frequently. Sometimes about 9 to 12 posts a day. If I subscribe to all my favourite sites and if all these posts appear on my home, I will start hating FB. On the other hand, FB hasn’t said much about this feature so I hope they have this problem in their mind.
It will be good if they create a separate space, like our message box and notifications area, where all these updates gets listed. It will be much better if the list is sorted.
Or, there should be a system to filter updates according to our preference. I mean, Mashable publishes posts on social media and tech. The guy who is totally into tech will like Mashable and will subscribe. But why will he like posts on social media, published by Mashable, appear on his home page?
P.S This article is based on how I think the subscribe button should be. It might turn out that this feature that FB is planning might have all these features plus something more . I am interested!!

No comments:

Post a Comment