Pages

Thursday 15 December 2011

#People behave different in the virtual world.: My study

'People behave different in the virtual world.' This was my point. It was baseless. I was just talking about myself. I expected the reply. 'Prove it'. It was all a part of my Psychology course. I wasnt surprised. Well i was thinking if she behaves the same in both the worlds. A pretty young lady. My prof. Who knows, she might be having more fake profiles than me. So this was the task, to prove people behave differently in the virtual world. Behaviour is a little too much for me to analyse. I am just an 18 yr old guy. So i took up self confidence. To analyse Self Confidence of a person in both the worlds.
This is a tricky task. So i had to get tricky this time. This experiment was interesting.
The approach.
The question is, whats the difference between these two worlds?. I wrote this post recently which talks about how internet can measure the inefficiency and corruption in a government. Their are many things that make the difference between these two worlds. I am just a 18 yr old guy so i am not interested in doing hard core research. I assumed it is the feeling that nobody is watching you. Maybe this is what which makes the difference. Intuition.
So the task was clear. I have to get a my subject(I love the word 'subject') answer the set of questions twice. Once online, were he should be convinced that he is not being monitored, that you need not submit your identity along with your answers. This is simple. Create a form online and get the answers. I created a link and mail it to my subjects. Told them that i am doing a small research and anonymity will maintained.
Now i modified the form. Put a name and ID space and took printouts. Told the subjects that my research needs your names and the online version was a mistake, that i tried to finish it quick by making an online form and for which i got blasted by my prof, so please fill it again. Many had enough patience to sit and fill it up. This time, the case it different from the online one. They had to put in their id hence no anonymity. And the research is something real. I got the new set of answers.
I had embedded few questions in the questionnaire which should have the same answers in both the cases.
Something like: Whats the second alphabet in your name? The month you wer born? The 3rd alphabet of the soul you hate the most. You favorite cartoon. I put many of these questions and many filler questions so that the subject wouldn't doubt that something is wrong.
I assumed the answers would be the same for these or if few of these match then i will assume both the sets are answered by the same dude.
This way i could match many forms. yeah it was a pain.
The result was as expected. 88% had at least one of the answers not matching in both the cases. Interestingly all the remaining wer single. Lets call it coincidence.
I wish i could put more data. She got angry when i told her my approach. She called me insane!! Come on thats a tough word for this.
 I didnt find any better method.
 If you have one, i have a comment box.

No comments:

Post a Comment